Author: Chris Speicher
If you’re a pet person, buying a home outside of the shuffle of the big city and moving into the suburbs is a great option. Montgomery County is a haven for pet lovers — and the Olney area in particular is a hot spot for folks who want a town to please both their families and their pets. Here are five reasons why families with pets love Montgomery County — and more specifically, the Olney area:
- Shopping for Your Pet: Outfitting, feeding and spoiling your family pet is easy when living in the area. Three pet-focused shops — Bark!, Unleashed by Petco, and PetValu — provide great resources for pet owners right in the Olney radius.
- Local Dog Park: Not far from Bark! and just off Georgia Avenue, residents can take their pets for a little off-leash play at the area’s no-fee dog park. The park is fully-fenced and offers a one-acre space divided into areas for large and small dogs.
- Lots of Local Pet Services: Finding service providers for your pets can be a challenge when moving — but fear not! We found nearby Janneth’s Pet Grooming to be a wonderful option for our two furballs — Jasmine and Clive. Just north of Ashton in Brinklow, Maryland, Janneth and her team provide stellar service and care without charging a premium. We are definitely fans and local residents are certainly lucky to have her facility just around the corner.
There are also a number of veterinary clinics and hospitals within just a few miles of downtown Olney, including Town and Country Animal Clinic, Olney-Sandy Spring Veterinary Hospital, Brookeville Animal Hospital, Laytonsville Veterinary Practice and Flower Valley Veterinary Clinic.
- Adopt a Pet Locally: If you’re looking to move to the area and make your new house even more of a home by adding a pet to your family, some of the local pet supply stores and even places like Johnson’s Florist and Garden Center — off of Route 108 between Olney and Laytonsville — host occasional adoption events on weekends for rescue animals. There is one at the Olney Unleashed by Petco on March 2 for Lucky Dog Animal Rescue.
- Larger Homes, Larger Yards, More Room to Run: With room to run, friends on every corner to meet, and stores designed specifically with your furry friend in mind, the Olney area of Montgomery County is a great fit for pet lovers and families. There are many listings available with great backyards, plenty of space to run, as well as local asphalt and dirt trails.
We are here to help find your family (and your pets!) the perfect place to call home!