Review the latest and most accurate housing data for Sandy Spring, MD.
The U.S. Census Bureau combines Sandy Spring with the nearby community of Ashton to form the census-designated place of Ashton-Sandy Spring. According to figures released in 2010, the community had a total population of 5,628.
The Quakers built their meeting house in 1817 near a fresh-water spring which gave its name to the community. In the late 19th century the community started a local school called the Sherwood Academy. This school was turned over to the Montgomery County Government in 1906 to become Sherwood High School, that county’s third public high school. A Quaker school, Sandy Spring Friends School, was established in 1961.